Follow DisasterduJour on Twitter

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tag you’re it!

Do you remember playing tag as a child? You ran around screaming hoping not to get tagged, but secretly all you wanted was to get all your friends? Well, living in an apartment is like a not so fun game of tag when your neighbor upstairs has an 8 inch ruptured sprinkler that sprays the entire apartment and floods the two apartments below. "Tag" I have water damage, you have water damage, we all have water damage! Not fun at all.

Yesterday we received an emergency phone call that an apartment's sprinkler system went off and had flooded the apartment as well as the two below. I went with our team to see the loss first hand. The homeowners were so upset. I listened as they told us how this water damage couldn't have come at a worst time. They had plans to go away for the weekend and I saw as they held back tears.

That's when I realized that the most important part of what we do is not cleaning and restoration, although no one does it better. But the most essential part, beyond the cleaning and paperwork, is the compassion. One word of comfort can make an unexpected disaster that seems like the end of the world turn into a small problem that has a solution.

Let me tell you I was shocked to see these losses. These clients had beautiful apartments overlooking the water! But unfortunately as I walked inside I was stepping in water. There was a smell and I thought how could there be a smell already? Our team informed me that it was the antifreeze I smelled. It is put in the pipes to keep them from “freezing”. Boy, was it awful!!

I was proud to see our crew at work and even more proud that we were able to comfort our clients in time of disaster!


SERVPRO of Peekskill/Ossining             SERVPRO of Tarrytown/Elmsford
servpropeekskillossining.com                servprotarrytownelmsford.com
(914) 788-1950                             (914) 358-9000
Get our free App
servpro.com/ready

No comments:

Post a Comment